Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Neighbors are a funny thing.


One of my friends made a comment to me the other day about the relationships we have with our neighbors. He was saying that living so close to other people and their families can pose an awkward situation. You are almost forced into a friendship and into respecting someone you may not otherwise want to have any sort of relationship. Even if you don't get along you have to see them on a regular basis. Catching them mowing their lawn or checking their mail can result in the, "half wave" (not wanting to be rude but having no desire to stop and talk) or even a 5 minute conversation. (usually about another neighbor) I mean, you should know what you have in store for yourself if you move into a neighborhood where the houses are 5 feet apart. Do not be surprised if you can hear their television if you both have windows open. They even may have a party in their back yard at 9:30 on a Saturday night. If things like that upset you, Have your Realtor look for properties with an acre or more.

Now, all that being said, I have a warning for all you neighbors out there. Times are hard and people are losing their jobs, and losing their homes. If your neighbor's house goes into foreclosure, it's most likely going to start looking less than stellar. Do not harass your neighbor (probably living with family or in a cheap apt) about the grass and the upkeep. It is no longer their home and they obviously have other things to worry about. Do not harass the Realtor either! Although they would like the listing to look as good as possible, it is not a Realtor's responsibility to mow the yard. I personally will not spend $20 a week for 3 plus months to have the lawn mowed. If it is listed as a bank repo or a short sale expect it to look a bit run down. Please remember you are not the only person in the city that has a house like that next door to you. I know its aggravating and you hate looking at it but again, that is what you signed up for when you moved into a neighborhood. Just so you know, There is a foreclosed home on my street. *GASP* I do not recommend this due to liability reasons but, some of my neighbors have been pitching in and mowing the lawn.... Imagine that! Neighbors doing neighborly things to help out the neighborhood. (I wonder if I have said neighborhood enough in this post)

As always, if you have comments or questions or concerns, please email and I will do my best to respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment